I Spy...Giant Googly Eyes!

Fall is one of my favorites times of the year. There are so many different occasions that intrigue students during the fall months...apples, pumpkins, firefighters, Halloween, etc. All of these themes provide a great motivator when trying to teach academic standards.

The words Common Core are words that people either love, hate, or tolerate. It does not matter how you feel about the words Common Core because our job is to teach. I teach in a state that uses Common Core. I have no choice in the standards I am told to teach, but I have tons of choice in how I deliver that information to my students. I choose to make learning fun so Common Core is fun. 

As I was looking over my data, I noticed that my students were struggling with either naming letters or isolating the initial sound in words. After looking over my data, I just happened to wander through Dollar Tree where they had giant googly eyes. Who can resist giant googly eyes?...not this teacher that's for sure!  And I just might have bought this Frankenstein bucket after Halloween last year because it was on sale and cute! 


Voila! Some Silhouette vinyl letter stickers, some alphabet clipart, 13 packages of giant googly Dollar Tree eyes, and 1 Frankenstein bucket....I Spy Frankenstein Letters was created. My kiddos loved saying "I Spy" and then flipping over a giant eye to name the letter or say the letter sound. I played it in small group to teach my kiddos how to play. Now it is in the word work center to practice letter naming or isolating initial sounds. 

  

 

Here are the differentiated recording sheets to go along with I Spy...Frankenstein. Click here for your I Spy....Frankenstein Letters freebie.



No comments:

Post a Comment