Giant Uno for the WIN!

Imagine my surprise and delight as I was wandering around Target on a Friday afternoon (what else is a teacher to do during summer break?) to find Giant Uno cards. My teacher brain began making a running list of all the uses for Giant Uno to help me rationalize my NEED to buy this game. Reason #1 Hope King from Elementary Shenanigans and Deanna Jump from Mrs. Jump's Class told me too. Well maybe I should start from the beginning...

In March, I was able to attend the Get Your Teach On conference in Orlando, FL with some amazing friends and co-workers. The conference was put on by Hope King from Elementary Shenanigans and Deanna Jump from Mrs. Jump's Class. I was lucky to spend the day in Deanna's K-1 session. It was a whirlwind of a day filled with tons of ideas and takeaways for me to use in my classroom. 

Now fast forward to the end of June with me wandering around Target on a lazy summer afternoon. A few of the quotes I heard from Deanna Jump and Hope King came rushing back to me. Some of the things I heard most often at the Get Your Teach On conference was "What's Your Hook?" and "Get off Your Seat and Move Your Feet." 

After reflecting on my experience at the Get Your Teach On conference, I know that my "hook" is games. I love a good board or card game so I try to transfer that to my classroom. Children love to play games, and when you can connect learning to a game it makes everything 10 times better. 

Here are some ways I play to get my kiddos off their seats and on their feet while learning this school year with my Giant Uno:

Getting to Know You Uno - Great way to break the ice at the beginning of the school year. Ex. Green cards could be favorite things. If a student selects a green 4, he/she would find 4 friends to tell his/her favorite things too. You can make the categories whatever you determine appropriate for your class.

Uno Math Addition and Subtraction - I would use the cards in a whole group activity before placing them in a center for students to use.


Uno Movin' and Groovin' - Great way to stretch the muscles and brains of your students. My kiddos loved playing this game last year with small regular Uno cards. I can't wait to add to the excitement with these Giant cards. Health is important for all (teacher and students). I make sure to play with my students.

Grouping Students - Students can select cards and then group themselves according to the color or number on the card.

Another great way to utilize these Giant Uno cards is to just PLAY UNO! Games are a wonderful way to build and teach social skills in students.

What's Your Hook?

No comments:

Post a Comment